Saturday, April 12, 2008

Top of the morning, everyone!

My career is really strange, but in a good way. There's a few buildings situated in a huge park. The park has a two pools, a spray ground, a play ground, tennis and basketball courts, a baseball field, a football field, three field hockey and soccer fields, a roller-hockey rink, and a really long walking path. In the Summer, all the other counselors and I have to report to the Therapeutic building at 8:00 AM. At about 8:30 our developmentally disabled kids start trickling in. I call them 'kids' even though some are in their 30's and 40's.

We have five groups. The groups are divided according to age levels. For instance, group one has the youngest kids. Group five is for the adults. That's my group. A client from my group is in the picture with me. Robert. Robert has Down syndrome. In fact, about 70% of of our Therapeutic Summer camp program kids have Down. Their functioning abilities vary a great deal. The other 30% have other developmental disorders such as neurological impairments, general retardation, brain damage caused by accidents, and so on.

When Summer Camp closes, all of the Summer camp counselors leave and go back to college. Only Mary (my group leader) and I stay for the Fall, Winter, and Spring programs. Mary and I are the only counselors there who are in our 50's. Four other non-Summer camp counselors also work those programs.

I have to leave now because it's Saturday and I need to get a haircut. And after that, I have to watch Ultimate Fighting from my enormous private DVD stock. I know, it's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it. In my next post, I'd like tell about joys of my occupation.
So long for now, folks.
And have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

CrystalChick said...

Hello, thanks for stopping by! Keep writing and I'll come back and visit. I've only been blogging since last summer and as you've seen from my pages, I am NOT a writer. Thoughts and posts are all over the place from one strange topic to another. It's fun though!
Sounds like you have a very interesting job.

Peace, Mary
p.s. I guess I've been into astrology for about 15 years??

lor* said...

Thanks for that! I've had a splendid day, haha. Maybe 'suffered' wasn't the right word. Strike it, replace with: neglected. Have a great night.

 

Copyright 2010 Joseph's corner.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.